Total Pageviews

Monday 14 October 2013

I'll get back to the fleece later.

What have I learnt over the past 2 weeks that may be of use to the new spinner?
Well, let's see.
1, get a top weighted drop spindle.
In my opinion and (admittedly limited) experience, the top weighted spindle is MUCH easier to use than a bottom weighted spindle.
Remember my first line of my last post? Where I said that I need a hook?
That was because after several hours with a bottom weighted (Turkish) spindle I had decided to turn it around and use it as a top weighted one so I needed to put a hook on the other end. It's much easier to use that way.
Makes sense too; the reason why it's easier is that if the weight is at the bottom and your spin is at the bottom then the distance from the spin to the hook and thence to your drafting hand is much much longer than if the weight and whorl are at the top. This means that you are trying to keep the spun tension over a much larger length that isn't wound onto anything, and the chances of it breaking are much greater.

Top spindle is easier for the newbie, definitely!

2, make a notch in the side of your whorl if it's a round one. I found that as my spun bit got wider, my yarn kept slipping around the whorl and unspinning itself. The notch keeps it in one place and makes it easier to catch it onto the hook.

3, practice joining small pieces until you can do it without the unspin (if there is such a word) running backwards around your hook and into the stretch down into the spun bit. I still find that often while I am attaching a new bit to the end, it's unspun itself lower down and breaks down below as soon as I lift it to spin again.

OK I'd better get back to work now. Happy lunch break everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment