Total Pageviews

Saturday 19 October 2013

I just made a drop spindle with removable bobbin....~is proud!
You know how it is, you always need more spindles than you have.
I have one with wool spun from bought roving, one that I'm using to spin straight from the fleece, but I need more multicoloured wool for my hat.

So I looked at a pack of chopsticks, remembered that I have a hook left from the kick spindle attempt, spotted a dvd, and with the aid of some cardboard and PVA glue knocked together a spindle.
So now the glue is drying, but I'm still thinking.

I have some foam sheets, and a tube that came out of a roll of paper.

So out come scissors.
Cut foam into cubes and then cut holes in the middle of the cubes. Thread cubes onto spindle like a kebab, and make sure that the corners of the squares are NOT lined up. Slide tube over them and 'voila'



It's not pretty, and until the glue dries I don't know how steadily it will spin. I have it propped up in a hole in the foam to try and keep the spindle and disc at the right angle but I won't know if it's worked until all the glue has dried.

Note, it is very hard to screw a hook into the end of a chopstick. The wood ended up splitting so I put a blob ofglue on there too.
The tube and foam cubes are not glued so can be removed easily.
I'm going out soon so the glue will have lots of time to dry. I may add a bit of wood to the end for a better washer than the one I made from cardboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment